Watch video about this Infrastructure
- Large scale wind tunnel (0.9m in diameter) to generate turbulent scales fully resolvable with currently available measurement techniques;
- High Reynolds number;
- Fully developed turbulence in a “naturally” generated flow (120m long, L/D > 110);
- Possibility to insert generating “passive” or “active” grids;
- Full and easy access to the test section, and to several other places along the pipe development;
- Highly controlled environmental conditions (no background noise, stable temperature and humidity).
The infrastructure allows the worldwide best space and time resolved measurements in turbulent pipe flows. The moderately high Reynolds number is obtained by keeping a large pipe diameter and is sufficiently high to reproduce “real” applications. Since the test section is at ambient pressure the facility is perfectly suited for testing and optimizing novel measurement techniques and may be easily adopted to study various aspects of turbulent flows, e.g. pressure gradients, wall roughness and friction control.